Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Poems for the last few days

March 11th poem of the day:

Babies
They are smiles
they are squirms
they are joy
wrapped in a small package

when you get older
and you can't have your own
all you want to do is hold
other mothers' babies

because they are soft
because they are joy
wrapped in a small package

March 12:

Making a story

Today instead of writing a story
I made one
with my hands

I molded, I cut, I folded
I sewed and I drew

And before my eyes I created a story
It was beautiful

March 13th

Stress

Some days you wake up stressed out
after a night full of dreaming about
things that make no sense in the morning

Coffee spills instead of going in your cup
the breakfast you made burns
and the children won't get up

You cheer when they get to school finally
thinking, now I can rest
but when you get home, some new crisis
comes in. And rather than welcome it
You get more stressed

The children come home from school
and won't do homework or clean up
the many messes they make throughout the afternoon
they argue and push and pull

The stress mounts as they are refusing the good food
you hoped would calm everyone and make them happier
then instead of baths they run screaming from you
and fight with each other

After all you want is for them to go to bed
and they won't, instead they are running
running into walls, running in the house
jumping on the furniture
Loud, Loud, Loud!

Eventually they do go to bed, though
and you can sit and write this poem
and pretend things were worse than they
really were.

It was really just another day in the life
of a crazy, amazing, awesome single mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment